Saturday, May 2, 2009

What I love about me

Sometime back, I read an article in Marie Claire where they had asked a bunch of women to articulate what they loved about themselves. I thought it was a great thing to ask people, specially women who are constantly dissing themselves for being less than perfect. Of course when I thought about what I would say if I was asked the same question, I was completely stumped. I mean, I am a bundle of adorableless, how does one pick out just one thing, but we strive anyway.

What I love about me? I love the fact that I have the ability to not take myself too seriously and that I am able to laugh at myself. It provides me with opportunities to guffaw all the time. I also love the fact that I love to laugh and that I am constantly on the look-out for the funny side of things and people. It's amazing how it reduces people and things that piss you off to just things that are well, absurd.

I love the fact that I can write and that I can tell stories. As I was telling someone the other day, the older I get, the more reclusive I become. At this rate, very soon, all channels of communications with new people will be closed down and the only way I will get to say something will be through what I write.

I love the fact that I have an imagination and that I can escape into a world that is not real but infinitely more pleasant whenever I want to. In this world, it's a great skill to have, I have learnt.

I love the fact that I have an overactive conscience. It keeps me honest.

I love the fact that I am kind to animals and I am very proud of the fact that I am a vegetarian by choice and that that choice was made when I was five.

Yeah, I think these really would be the top five things that I love about myself. M says his top five are his sense of humour, his ability to read people correctly, kindness, generosity and lack of aggression. The conversation then quickly deteriorated into him trying to slip in his taste in clothes (horrendous) and the lap-times he is doing these days on his Formula One game on PS but we will ignore that.

What about you though? What do you absolutely love about yourself?

18 comments:

Hobo ........ ........ ........ said...

If you love writing start writing script.

And I love that I love to be as much honest as I can. That is happiness within.

sscribbles said...

Loved this post. Haven't ever thought what I love about myself but now on introspection I believe I love my honesty and geneoristy. I love the fact that it takes me few minutes to connect with people, cherish freindships and that I am a non-fussy person. Also, like you, I love laughing at myself to keep people entertained.

Anonymous said...

What I love about myself is for another day but what I love (absolutely) about you is that each time I have visited this blog I have felt a little cheerier and happier. It puts the proverbial skip in my (sedentary) step. It makes me believe that things are well with the world, we have humour and we have Parul :)

Thank you

S

mandira said...

those are the things i like about you as well! your ability to look at the funny side of things... your writing.. ur imagination.. all of that.. :D

hmmm..wat do i like about myself? donno! havent given this much thought... may be i will turn this into a tag n do a small piece on wat i like about myself.. but first let me think up of a few things!

btw, i turned vegetarian too.. but unlike u , i made the decision at the wise old age of 25!

Cynic in Wonderland said...

...yus the ability to not take oneself and life too seriously is way underrated. nothing can suck all that much as long as one finds something to laugh about it no?

Anonymous said...

I'm copying M's list. It's almost ditto.

Deepa

shilpa Paralkar said...

Hi, do tell me more about how you decided to become a vegetarian at 5. I'm a hard core vegetarian (but don't eat or cook non veg at home) , my husband is a hard core vegetarian and we are both keen that we give our two year old daughter the choice to decide when she's a little older. Am really curious how your parents about it.

Warm regards,
Shilpa
callmeshilpa@yahoo.co.in

shilpa Paralkar said...

Hi, do tell me more about how you decided to become a vegetarian at 5. I'm a hard core non-vegetarian (but don't eat or cook non veg at home), my husband is a hard core vegetarian and we are both keen that we give our two year old daughter the choice to decide when she's a little older. Am really curious how your parents went about it.

Warm regards,
Shilpa
callmeshilpa@yahoo.co.in

NainaAshley said...

Those are the things we love about you as well!

Mamma mia! Me a mamma? said...

I don't know what I love about me, but I know what I love about you...your magnificent sense of humour and your style of writing!

Girl, I just can't wait for your book!

Mamma mia! Me a mamma? said...

Oh, and BTW, I have finally started writing about my Andaman holiday. Part 1 is already up. You said to let you know, so...

:)

Parul said...

Hobo - True.

sscribbles - Non-fussy, yeah, that's a good one.

S - Gah, no, no, no, you all are supposed to tell me stuff that you love about yourself.

mandira - yes, do that!

Cyn - Abso-f***ing-lutely!

D - And he will be very happy to know that.

shilpa - hello there, look I can actually do a long post on this. We were at a small resort that had a lot of hens and birds etc and I came to understand then that those are the things that get made into chicken. That was it, I never touched meat again. My mom anyway never ate meat and it wasn't cooked at home. All the best with your daughter, hope she will be happy with her choice!

Parul said...

NainaAshley, M4 - What is this, guys, why aren't you saying anything about what you love about yourself, no fair!

karmickids said...

I'm going to shamelessly take this into a tag in thirtysixandcounting...made me think real real hard about myself...

chandni said...

what a lovely idea. I am going to take it up too :)

Suki said...

So am I! Got it off Chandu, who got it off Kiran and you :P

roop said...

I love that you don't have any unnecessary airs to unnecessarily self-inflate. you know who you are and neither are you too boastful about it and neither do you depreciate that. So Kudos to the you ! :)

Monika said...

i have officially converted it into a tag Parul

http://monikamanchanda15.blogspot.com/2009/05/i-love-myself-day-6-post-6.html

thanks for the lovely idea