Sunday, May 17, 2009

All about books

My friend Sue, currently posing as a wallflower tagged me to list a few things about books.

1) What author do you own the most books by?
Alexander McCall Smith. This answer surprised me. I had no idea. I thought it'd be Stephen King.

2) What book do you own the most copies of?
Long answer to a short question coming up. My mother and her own grandmother were very fond of reading Shivani. Her grandmother, Amma was often found crying if one of the characters died. They passed on the love of this outstanding author (and perhaps the love for reading in Hindi as well) to all three of us. All three of us have finally starting bidding adieu to those dog-eared copies that brought us countless hours of pure joy and have started buying our own copies.

3) Did it bother you that both those questions ended with prepositions?
I am currently struggling with Spanish prepositions so no.

4) What fictional character are you secretly in love with?
Atticus Finch. Rhett Butler. Michael Corleone. Maybe even Heathcliff.

5) What book have you read the most times in your life?
The Godfather, perhaps. Gone with the wind, maybe. The Malory Towers? Surangama, Krishnakali, Chaudah Phere. One used to have the time to read books over and over again once.

6) What was your favorite book when you were ten years old?
The Malory Towers, I think. Everything by Enid Blyton went down real easy at that time, even with the inherent gender bias evident in her work.

7) What is the worst book you’ve read in the past year?
Ah, the unintended tragedy called 'Lose your weight, not your mind' by Rujuta Diwekar.

8) What is the best book you’ve read in the past year?
What I talk about when I talk about running by Murakami.

9) If you could force everyone to read one book, what would it be?
The Godfather because all of life's answers are to be found there. Hehe, I know.

10) Who deserves to win the next Nobel Prize for literature?
Haruki Murakami.

11) What book would you most like to see made into a movie?
It's coming out soon by an unknown but brilliant writer called Parul Sharma.

12) What book would you least like to see made into a movie?
Leave my Shivani books alone. I have made them into movies in my mind and that is where they should be.

13) Describe your weirdest dream involving a writer, book, or literary character.
I need to get some sleep to dream. But I do remember dreaming of Michael Corleone fairly often. Standard adolescent dreams, really that were embarrassingly basic.

14) What is the most lowbrow book you’ve read as an adult?
Mills and Boon.

15) What is the most difficult book you’ve ever read?
Mother. I have read many difficult books in my time because I fervently believe that what has been started must be finished. Goes for food as well, hence the extra kilos.

16) Shakespeare, Milton, or Chaucer?
Shakespeare. I don't know much about Milton and Chaucer except the second-hand knowledge I garnered from Literature-wallahs during college. I studies Economics, unfortunately.

17) Austen or Eliot?
Austen.

18) What is the biggest or most embarrassing gap in your reading?
Salman Rushdie, I'd imagine. His work's just passed me by though I did read the Satanic Verses.

19) What is your favorite novel?
Krishnakali.

20) Play?
The monkey's paw

21) Short story?
The monkey's paw by W.W. Jacobs. I know a fair bit about ghost stories too. I had a real passion for them.

22) Work of non-fiction?
Everything by Bill Bryson, really. One day, I will write a funny travel book. I will, too.

23) Who is your favorite writer?
Getting repetitive but Gaura Pant Shivani it is.

I have a two-year old pulling on my elbow and insisting that he needs to show me something of earth-shattering importance (probably a dead insect) so I have no time to link to anyone. Please, someone take this up. Ta!

17 comments:

Sumit said...

Awesome! For an Eco grad, you sure have quite a varied taste in books. (Stereotype warning - Eco-folks-are-geeks-who-only-read-stuff-that-adds-to-their-'ROI'_

I am a huge fan of Stephen King too! Good to see your reading list. I haven't tried reading Alexander McCall Smith but I think I will...soon. :)

threedrinksahead said...

Have you read 'Diddi'? That book's been made me want to read Shivani ever since I read it!
Any suggestions on where to start? By chronological order, or of favourites?

Mamma mia! Me a mamma? said...

As a fellow book-worm, all I can say is that I loved reading this...

Parul said...

Sumit...Well stereotypes may be unfair but they are often true as in this case. I don't mind. I like being this way, hehe!

threedrinksahead...Wow, I am thrilled you have read Diddi! Yes, I have read it too. Ok, about a list. I have read every word she ever wrote so it is difficult to pick out one but Krishnakali, Surangama, Chaudah Phere, Atithi is a good way to go.

Mamma mia! Me a mamma?...Then pick it up and do the tag!

divya said...

my mom reads a lot of shivani novels too.. and she reads out passages for us time to time from the books!

hv u read rohinton mistry?

Perakath said...

Never heard of Shivani, and don't really care, to be honest. (Really honest!)

The prepositions didn't bother me, but I thought the first two questions should more properly have started with 'Which', not 'What'!

richajn said...

Gawd, wat a list.. and I thought I was the bookword. ok, ok.. I **used** to be a bookworm. The IT industry and life kinda took over and didnt leave much time for reading. But even now, when I do pick up the occassional book (read as 'once a year') I cant put it down until its finished.. I go into zombie mode those 2-3 days that I take to finish the 500 odd pages!

I used to be a big fan of Enid Blyton's as a kid. Aged 7-9, I read every book of hers that I could lay hold of. Finished the school library ka stock in no time :)

Sad to say, never took up reading Hindi

Parul said...

divya...Your mom has very good taste in books, my dear.

Perakath...Well, she never heard of you either so I am guessing you are quits!

richajn...It really is never too late to start, I guess, if you feel inclined to pick it up.

Deepti said...

Ditto about Godfather .. read it so many times .. and Michael Corleone .. he came in your dreams too .. That damn cheat!! ;-)

Malory Towers .. High fives :D

Divya said...

Wow.... that's some list!! I read The Godfather only twice but I've read Gone With the Wind countless times.... :)

And after seeing Bill Bryson mentioned a couple of times on your blog, I started reading his books.... currently reading Lost Continent n enjoying it very much :) And do tell when your book will be out so I can book my copy in advance :)

-Divya

Shivani said...

And I thought I was the only person to own a large number of Alexander McCall Smith books.. I certainly have company!

And I too recently read Rujuta Diwekar’s book… a little shabbily written as it is; I thought some of her fundas made sense & are worth implementing.

Sue said...

You know, I once wrote a university tutorial (marks went into my honours marksheet) on M'n'Bs compared to Keats' 'Eve of St. Agnes'. I think I did a good job on it, too!

M'n'Bs are delightful works of art. Nothing like unintentional humour!

eve's lungs said...

Shivani used to live down the road from us in Lucknow in the early 80S . She used to share Bengali magazines with my Ma ( also called Shibani)thru the magazine walla. Have you read "Diddi" by Ira Pande ?

Parul said...

Deepti...Back off, he's mine!

Divya...Oh yes, I will declare the book here on the blog for sure.

Shivani...I love him, I do!

Sue...I have no idea what you are talking about, you lit type!

eve's lungs...WHAT are you saying?!! You shared street space with my heroine? Yes of course I have read Diddi. Please do a post on her!

Parul said...

eve's lungs...Oh and that would mean Gomti Nagar, Gulistan right?

Sue said...

:P

It's a poem by John Keats. About lovers fleeing in the winter snow. I was asked to compare the hero and heroine to those of a typical M'n'B since I was known to be an avid reader of the genre.

eve's lungs said...

P - look I came back to see your reaction. She was in Gulistan colony , not in Gomti Nagar . This was down the MG Marg where we stayed . I have done a post on Diddi way back ..http://eveslungs.blogspot.com/2006/03/league-of-extraordinary-gentlewomen.html