Friday, March 13, 2009

Hola, Holi!

After Kalpana's sudden decision to feed us rotten paneer and then the equally sudden but happier decision of quitting, things had returned to normal. We were all nicely holied out in this house. Total calorie count had touched five million over the course of the festival. Billion. Gujhiyas and besan ke laddoo had been polished off. I had made my customary phone call to Mom to get her recipe for her absolutely divine phirni and even though made by me, it had turned out well, hallelujah or shukr hai bhagwaan ka. (Unnatural modesty = your cue for showering compliments) Pooja was done (many jokes erupt in my mind at this but none of them in good taste). In fact, here you go, some Holi pictures because they are nice and colourful. And because they are worth a thousand words.






Do you have any idea how long it takes to write a thousand words? Almost as long as taking pictures, finding the cable to transfer them to laptop, swatting away a child that is bent upon decoding every last mystery that the computer holds within its magical body and uploading them to Blogger and then waiting for it to oblige.


Anyway, just when I thought we were done with our share of domestic disasters, Pramod went and banged the car yesterday. Poor car. All smashed up. It's so bad that it will be out of action for a couple of weeks at least. Since men treat cars as humans (validated by research done by yours truly) , I believe M wanted to take it to the hospital rather than the repair shop. Anyway, I really shouldn't make fun of M given how shattered he really is about the car. So let's move on to happier topics.

My Spanish class! I started today. It was great to be in a classroom again. The last time I was in one was for my (utterly useless as it turned out) Lamaze sessions. But this is great. For one thing, I am really relieved that the class does not comprise only PYTs. There are all sorts of people and I am quite looking forward to this. Very soon, I will be singing along Santana because that after all was the only reason I signed up in the first place. We did the Spanish alphabet today. Now the Spanish alphabet is really competitive. In fact, it beats the pants off the English one because it has three extra characters. I think Iike it already. More stories as they happen of course. You've been warned.

Poor car though.

13 comments:

Hobo ........ ........ ........ said...

Gujiya, Besan ke Laddoo - yum yum.
I wish I can have right now through blog. We have yet to invent that to happen.
I am hungry...mummyyyyyyyyyyy !!!

Mamma mia! Me a mamma? said...

Good luck with your espanol lessons. And I just gained weight looking at those yum pics! Sigh...damned if I do, damned if I don't!

stuti said...

i think spanish is just the most sexy language. Attagirl!

Priya said...

Spanish lessons!! D had also tried his hands on that. But now I think he can say Hola and not much more :-)
All the best !!

Mystic Margarita said...

Pictures are lovely. Buena suerte with the Spanish classes - I have forgotten 99.9% of what I had learnt.

dipali said...

My condolences on the car sitch. Hola, amiga:)
All the best with the Espanol.
Your Holi stuff looks yummy!

vidya said...

WOW! Your sweets pics make my mouth water all over the kepboard!! yum!!! U made them?? wow!

Parul said...

Hobo - I wish that when I see some food blogs!

M4 - It's all allowed on Holi. And Diwali. And Eid. And X'mas. Gah!

stuti - We will see, yes?

Priya - I hope I am a little better than that!

Mystic - Why why why? No chance to practice?

dipali - thanks :( It was yummy. New tyres have been made!

vidya - good gracious no! Store bought!

WSW said...

Read your blog late last night!And had such a craving for gujiya :( Pinged all friends to find where they are available in Bangalore. Found none :(

Cynic in Wonderland said...

i used to speak portuguese better than the natives. fact - i have marksheets to prove that. and spanish. and now i have delearned both. should i kill myself?

Sauron said...

Interesting narrative, that was. :)

I'm new to your blog, but liked browsing through your writings... will be back for more...

Deepa said...

Isn't it your birthday or something? 15th March I mean. I thought there'd be a celebrattory post on that.

Mama - Mia said...

holi was indeed brought in..errr do you use in twice if you wanna say in style?!

the food looks yummy! and good show about the phirni and the spanish classes!enjoy!

cheers!