Kripya order karein!

Kripya order karein!
Kripya order karein!

Monday, September 22, 2008

The games people play

In my effort to beat the boredom of the gym and to lend an extra edge to my already-perfect personality I have started taking squash coaching. It is tremendously enjoyable. For me. I am not sure about R Sir, the marker who teaches me. Not to be left behind in the quest for athletic bodies and never-seen-before levels of stamina, M has joined me for the coaching. This project has been driven by J, our anorexic friend who believes that one can never be too rich or too thin (my words but her feelings).

Now as anyone who has ever played squash will tell you, it is an extremely strenuous sport. As in, after about forty-five minutes of tossing a tiny ball against a wall, one feels that death would be very welcome.


Yesterday was M's first day at the court. I sent him off at about twelve noon with a cheery wave and went off to make Adi sleep.
After about an hour and a half, I heard a knock at the door. I crept out to open the door.

"I think I am about to have a stroke," said the human tomato on the other side.


For some very un-devoted-wife-like reason, I found this hilarious and dissolved into belly-shaking laughter that lasted for at least twenty minutes. M would have protested but he was busy moaning and groaning.


Since then he has claimed that he has injured every part of his body, strained every muscle and sinew and nearly shattered every bone. All this is really funny, specially because I know that this is only a bhumika that he is preparing in order to miss subsequent sessions.


However, given the price we have paid for the Wilson racquets,we need to play everyday for the next two years to get anywhere near a good ROI.
I have a feeling R Sir is going to be a part of our lives from here on.

***

The newly tattooed and fast approaching the tiring thirties Mad Momma thinks I am brilliant and has awarded me this. Thanks MM, this is good stuff!


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

First time here..I fully sympathize with anyone trying to get exercise into their dreary existence. When I tried yoga for the first time, the pain and exhaustion was awful..parts of my body hurt which I didn't know existed.
-Nikhila

Mama - Mia said...

you are seriously an inspiration woman!! first gym, then the dietician and now squah!! phew!!

hats off to you!!

now to try and make my sorry ass move at least one tenth of this!!

:(

abha

dipali said...

What about your game, wife of human tomato? Less death inspiring now?

ιℓℓυѕιση said...

Congrats on the award!

n squash is definitely gonna make u lost weight....stick to it!!

btw wat article in Femina?? which issue?? need to go n the it then..

ss said...

Rude mommy! (I'd have done the same :) )
Men do moan a lot more than us, I think!

NainaAshley said...

Reminds me of the time the hubby stepped came back from the gym with a trainer session for the first time. he came home and lay down on the sofa almost ready to pass out. The in laws who were present at that time started hovering around him worriedly while I found it hard to hide my laughter because I knew that it was just a result of shocking the body into exercising after months of low(no) activity.
And what about your lesson? Can we get a post on that?

thelastbyte said...

They key to a satisfying game of squash is picturing the face of a lesser loved soul between the 2 red lines, with a broad grin, waiting to get smacked silly.

--
Null Pointer

Cynic in Wonderland said...

sympathies are with the husband!

Parul said...

Nikhila - hey, I don't mind the squash at all, its great fun....better than the dull gym anyday.

mama-mia - well, I don't like being unfit so I guess I don't have a choice :-)

dipali - heh, heh, yes, I am getting better!

illusion - thanks! You think squash is good, eh? The article was on blogging moms, don't remember offhand which issue though.

ss - I believe in not letting an opportunity to make fun of M pass.

nainaashley - my sessions are going well, let something funny happen and I will blog about it!

Null Pointer - okies, will keep that in mind!

cynic - oh well.

Mamma mia! Me a mamma? said...

Squash? Really?

Oh wow! One more thing to admire about you!